Historic Highway Sealed Under Nationals
The NSW Government is continuing its investment in upgrading and sealing the Silver City and Cobb Highways in Far West NSW with qualified contractors being sought for the next stage of work to seal these important freight routes.
Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight Melinda Pavey said the work would involve a new bridge and approaches at Packsaddle Creek on the Silver City Highway between Broken Hill and Tibooburra and further sealing work on the Cobb Highway at Slammanon between Wilcannia and Ivanhoe.
“This work is so important to the state and by sealing these freight corridors they will no longer be ‘closed’ when it rains,” Mrs Pavey said.
“It’s this reason that since 2015, the Liberals/Nationals Government has been progressively sealing and upgrading the Silver City and Cobb Highways as part of a $60 million commitment from Restart NSW, Western NSW Freight Productivity Program and state maintenance funding.
“Working side-by-side with industry to complete this work, the 76 kilometres is expected to be completed by mid-2018. This sealing also includes a further 17 kilometres of sealing on the Cobb Highway which will start in January next year.”
Member for Barwon Kevin Humphries said registrations are being invited this week from interested contractors to do both sealing work and upgrades along these main highways.
“A lot of this work is complete and it’s already been felt on the ground. These continued upgrades will ensure both highways remain reliable freight routes and are safer for the communities they connect,” Mr Humphries said.
Mr Humphries said the Packsaddle and Slammanon projects would represent an additional $13 million investment on these important highways with more to be scheduled in the next five years.
Projects recently completed on the Silver City and Cobb highways include:
- Sealing a 13 kilometre section of the Silver City Highway, 70 kilometres north of Broken Hill
- Sealing a 7.2 kilometre section of the Silver City Highway, 87 kilometres north of Broken Hill
- Sealing a 5.2 kilometre section of the Silver City Highway, 181 kilometres north of Broken Hill
- Sealing a 13.4 kilometre section of the Silver City Highway, 207 kilometres north of Broken Hill, including an airstrip for the Royal Flying Doctor Service
- Sealing a 4.3 kilometre section of the Silver City Highway, 271 kilometres north of Broken Hill
- Sealing a 6.1 kilometre section of the Cobb Highway, 81 kilometres north of Ivanhoe
- Sealing a 10.3 kilometre section of the Cobb Highway, 29 kilometres north of Ivanhoe
For more information on these projects visit www.rms.nsw.gov.au.
Minister for Roads Maritime and Freight Melinda Pavey alongside Member for Barwon Kevin Humphries in Broken Hill NSW.